Back when I worked at T.G.I. Friday’s I fell in love with their broccoli cheese soup. I could eat it every day and be happy! Mmmm so good. But now we live about 15 miles from the nearest Friday’s, so I don’t get to go there very often.
I don’t know if anyone actually reads my blog, but if you do, and if you noticed my lapse in posting recently, it was due to an illness. I’m still alive and getting better each day :) But while I was sick, I decided to make some of my favorite soups. (And it tastes just like the one at Friday’s!)
Very simple, very easy. And while I know some people may prefer fresh, I used the shortcut of frozen broccoli. Tastes just the same but with less work :)
That’s just the right amount of cheese on top because it perfectly thickens the soup as you stir it in. :)
I will be making this again!
- 1 large package frozen broccoli florets (about 4-5 cups)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup half & half (I used fat-free half & half and it was fine)
- 1 cup water
- 4 slices Kraft Sharp Cheddar singles
- Shredded cheese for garnish
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp dried minced onion
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Set your frozen broccoli on the counter to partially thaw. I just added some warm water to my measuring cup and then drained it off before adding to the soup. You don’t want to add the broccoli straight from frozen because it will bring the temperature of the soup down too quickly.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine the chicken broth, water, half & half, flour, onion, and pepper. Whisk to combine the ingredients and to break up any lumps.
- Quarter the cheese slices and then add to the saucepan.
- Bring soup to a boil and then reduce heat to low.
- Add the broccoli to the soup and simmer for about 20 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot in a bowl and top with some of the shredded cheese. You’ll want to serve it right away while it is piping hot!