My first cheesecake, and it was easier than I thought it would be.
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup butter (melted)
- 3 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup *mini* semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tsp AP flour
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F
- Mix graham cracker crumbs, sugar, butter, and cocoa. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch springform pan. Set crust aside.
- Beat cream cheese until smooth.
- Gradually add sweetened condensed milk and beat well.
- Add vanilla and eggs and beat until smooth.
- Toss 1/2 of the chocolate chips in the AP flour to coat, and then mix into the cheese mixture.
- Pour into the crust and sprinkle the top with the remaining chocolate chips.
- Bake for 1 hour
- Turn off the oven and let the cake cool without opening the oven door for another hour.
- Remove from oven and cool completely.
- Refrigerate for at least a couple hours before removing the sides of the pan.
That last step is where I made my mistake. The original directions just said to cool completely, and I assumed an hour in the fridge would be enough, but it wasn’t. That’s why the sides look a little chocolately in my picture, because the chocolate in the topping followed my knife down.
I still couldn’t resist taking a bite… let me tell you that hot cheesecake is not very good! After I cut a slice for myself, and another to take to my friend, I put the rest back in the fridge & I’m looking forward to trying it again tonight.