- Romaine lettuce
- Baby carrots
- Cherry tomatoes
- Italian dressing (or any dressing you like – but it shouldn’t be a thick, creamy kind)
This is so easy, and yet so pretty! For the bowl variety, while any bowl will do, but it looks especially pretty in a trifle bowl:
- Wash your lettuce and break into rough pieces.
- Slice the baby carrots and the celery.
- Slice the cucumber and then quarter the slices.
- Work up in layers: lettuce, carrots/celery/cucmbers, lettuce, carrots/celery/cucumbers, etc.
- Top with the cherry tomatoes (whole)
Since I made this one just for myself, I left out the tomatoes because I’m not a big fan… but if you’re making this for company you should definitely include them because they give a wonderful little splash of color. I also didn’t cut the pieces quite small enough – they’re about twice as big as they should be for a presentation fit for company 🙂
For the plated variety:
- Pick out the best looking leaves from your romaine lettuce and arrange three pieces whole on each plate.
- Top with your other ingredients.
- Drizzle dressing on top or serve on the side.
Again, it looks a lot better when you cut the pieces as small as they should be… but this is a very pretty way to serve a salad IMHO. 🙂