Here’s a recipe courtesy of my lovely sister. She took one of Mom’s basic recipes (for broccoli casserole — haven’t posted that one here yet, but I will) and tweaked it up into an entrée. Yummy!
I must apologize for this picture though. To be perfectly honest, I have the incredibly bad habit of “losing” stuff in the fridge. It goes in, and never comes back out. This casserole was one of them. The recipe makes enough for a large 13×9 pan, but I broke it down into two 8×8’s because I was taking one to my book club meeting. Hubby put the extra one in the fridge under a pizza box, and I forgot about it! I was so disappointed because I love this casserole, but I don’t like eating leftovers more than a day or two after the fact. So this one got tossed, but not before I snapped a pic of it so I’d at least have something to show on here.
- 1 bag of “microwave in bag” broccoli florets
- 1 bag of extra wide egg noodles (I use No Yolks brand)
- 2-3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cans ‘Cream of Chicken and Mushroom’ soup
- 1 can milk
- 5 tsp sour cream
- 2 cups cheese (16 oz)
- Ritz crackers (crushed)
- Butter (optional)
- Cut chicken into cubes and cook in pan (saute with a lil EVOO)
- Cook pasta as directed, but subtract 1 or 2 minutes from the cooking time.
- Cook broccoli for half the time recommended on the bag (or even a little less)
- In a saucepan, heat the cream of chicken/mushroom soup and the milk.
- Once all of that is done and ready, you can begin layering. She does broccoli, chicken, pasta, soup, cheese. Repeat those layers.
- Then top with the Ritz crackers (she pours the melted butter over the Ritz, but I leave it off completely)
- Here’s where her recipe got even more shaky. She says, “Bake in probably an 11×9 baking dish. I think it is 350? Can’t remember how long. Wow, this recipe is inexact” LOL
- I baked it at 350 for about 30 minutes. Just keep an eye on it. The cheese should be nice and bubbly and the crackers will have a nice, toasted brown color.