Ambyr at TheCoupoNinja asked if I’d be interested in posting some recipes for her readers that would incorporate some ingredients from her weekly shopping list… and I was very happy to accept. This week I came up with a classic comfort food dish: Chicken Noodle Casserole.
You’re very welcome to use the recipe here, but if you want to find out how I made it for under $2 a serving you’ll need to visit her site.
The only thing you’ll need to imagine adding in your head would be some peas. I think they’d really top off this dish, but I couldn’t include them or Shane wouldn’t have eaten. 🙂 Picky husband hates veggies.
- Boneless skinless chicken breast tenders
- 1 box fettuccine pasta
- 1 can cream of chicken and mushroom soup
- 2-3 tbsp sour cream
- 1.5 cups shredded cheese
- a couple handfuls of Lay’s potato chips
- Slice your chicken into bite sized cubes, season, and then saute in EVOO until cooked. Once the chicken is done, remove it to a paper towel covered plate to remove any excess oil.
- Meanwhile, cook your pasta accordingly to the package directions, however subtract about a minute from the cooking time. You want a firm ‘al dente’
- Drain the pasta and then return it to the pan. Add the soup & sour cream and mix to combine.
- Put a few handfuls of Lays original potato chips in a plastic bag and crush to form crumbs.
- Layer the ingredients in your baking dish. Pasta ->Chicken -> Cheese -> Pasta -> Chips
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes.
I wasn’t sure if I would like the chips on top, so I did half with the chips and half with just some extra cheese. It’s no comparison. For me, the chips win hands-down. I even crumbled up some extra while I was eating because I wanted some chip in every bite 😉
I also made it with sharp cheddar and I should have used something a bit more subtle and a little less sharp. But those are my only suggestions 🙂 Hope you enjoy.