Recipe from: One Perfect Bite
This bread is amazing.
I’ve always been intimidated by the thought of making my own bread, from scratch, without the help of a bread machine… but I did it! And…… it was good! And……… it was fun!
- 6.5-7.5 cups flour, unsifted
- 5 tsp active dry yeast
- 1 1/2 tsp sugar
- 4 tsp salt
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2 1/2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup water
- 6 eggs (room temperature)
- 3/4 lb Muenster cheese, shredded
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp milk
- Combine 1 1/2 cups flour, yeast, sugar and salt in the bowl of your mixer.
- In a microwavable bowl, combine the yogurt, butter and water. Microwave for about 1 minute on high, until butter melts. Cool slightly.
- Slowly add the yogurt to your dry ingredients and beat for 2 minutes at medium speed.
- Add 6 eggs, 1/2 cup cheese and 1 cup flour. Beat for 2 minutes at high speed.
- Add as much flour as needed to make a stiff dough. I added about 4 more cups.
- Turn onto a floured surface and knead for 8-10 minutes. Your dough should be smooth and elastic.
- Grease a bowl with some olive oil. Place dough in the bowl, turning it once to grease top. Cover and let rise until it doubles in size… about an hour.
- Grease your baking sheets to prepare them. I used the Pam for Baking.
- Punch dough down and divide into two equal pieces.
- Pat dough to form two round loaves and place on your baking sheets. Cover and let rise for another hour.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Beat 1 egg and mix with milk. Brush over the loaves. Top with remaining cheese. (I didn’t use all the cheese, but just added enough to get good coverage on the top)
- Bake until the loaves are golden, about 25-30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool on wire racks.