Found this recipe on A Pocketful of Sunshine and knew as soon as I saw it that it would be something I had to make!
It’s like a homemade Hot Pocket, but better! WAY better!
Can’t wait for the recipe now, can you? Well here it is:
Pepperoni and Mozzarella Stromboli:
- 1 lb thawed frozen bread dough
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- pizza sauce (for dipping/on the side)
- Keep some flour nearby to reduce stickiness as you roll the bread dough into a 9×14 rectangle.
- Brush the top of the dough with half of the beaten egg
- Sprinkle 2 tsp Italian seasoning on top of the dough.
- Line dough with pepperoni until covered.
- Cover pepperoni with shredded cheese
- Roll the dough up and pinch edges & ends to seal. Transfer to your baking sheet, and put the seam-side down.
- Brush the top with the rest of the beaten egg and sprinkle the remaining Italian seasoning on top.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes. Slice with a bread knife and serve with heated sauce.
In order to quickly thaw the bread dough, I followed the directions on the package… baste with melted butter… 1-2 minutes on 30% power… worked pretty well.
But now I’ve got the little bowl with the beaten egg AND the little bowl with the rest of the melted butter. And what do you think I do? Right after I put the Stromboli in the oven and started cleaning the kitchen, I realized that I’ve used the butter instead of the egg! Drats!! So I pulled it out of the oven and just spooned some of the egg right on top, put it back in the oven, and prayed for the best. Nothing like adding some unnecessary calories, but it isn’t like this is health food to begin with, right?
I think the extra butter actually gave it some added flavor, although most of it ended up welded to my baking sheet:
The bottom line is that this recipe is very simple, very easy, and will be made again!