Recipe adapted from: Picky Palate
I know there’s no sauce on my meatball sub, but I don’t like red sauce that much…
And one other thing about this recipe — I HATE mustard! I really do. Can’t stand the stuff. So why I included it I don’t know. I’m going to try these again sometime without the mustard and kicking up the seasonings a bit, but I really love the idea of mozzarella stuffed meatballs.
I didn’t have any of those fancy mozzarella balls, so I just cut up some cheese sticks and made them work :)
Makes 10 HUGE meatballs!
- 2 tbsp EVOO
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup finely chopped white onion
- 1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp yellow mustard (yuck!)
- 1 tsp hot sauce
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic salt
- 10 1-inch Mozzarella balls (or cut up cheese sticks if you want to be like me lol)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 13×9 inch baking dish with the olive oil.
- Combine all of the ingredients (except the mozzarella cheese) in a large bowl.
- Take 1/4 cup of the beef mixture and press into the center to make room for the Mozzarella. Place cheese in the middle and then enclose the beef around the cheese making sure it is completely covered.
- Place meatballs in the prepared dish and bake for about 35 minutes or until cooked through.
- Serve over pasta or in a meatball sub.
That’s the way I like it —- with lots of Parmesan on top!