Did your school ever put together a “Mom’s” cookbook? Mine did, and this one became a classic recipe in our family. Every Christmas morning the family would come over to Mom’s house and she’d make this (along with other stuff too of course!)
It isn’t easy making a hot breakfast for a group of people… but this recipe is fool-proof. Whip it up and pop in the oven, and you’ll be golden!
I ended up not using the colby jack because I like the sharp cheddar 🙂
- 1/2 lb shredded cheddar cheese. (1/2 lb of cheese = 8 oz)
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp salt
- dash of pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- 12 eggs, lightly beaten
- Heat oven to 325 degrees.
- Butter a 13×9 baking dish. Spread the cheese on the bottom and then dot with butter.
- Mix cream with seasonings and mustard. Pour half over the cheese.
- Add lightly beaten eggs and then add the remaining cream mixture. Move the bowl around as you pour the cream because you don’t want it all in one spot.
- Bake for about 35 minutes or until the eggs are set.
It makes a lot, but it isn’t bad reheated the next day 🙂
So if you haven’t guessed already: We had breakfast for dinner last night. I made the company eggs and served them with pancakes and bacon. I used a little salad plate and he used the regular dinner plate.
Might look like an animal portion, but I love the fact that he enjoys what I make. When I come home from a long day at work and don’t really feel like cooking… it’s rewarding to have the meals appreciated. ❤ (Although part of me is glad that he ate dinner upstairs last night so he could watch the baseball game because I’m not sure staring at his plate would have been very appealing lol)